After I take my machine out of the box, what do I do first?
Sign-up for a Design Space account! Design Space is a free design software that runs on Cricut Explore and Cricut Maker cutting machines. You can sign-up with an email and password on the Design Space app. Get set up in any of these places:
- On your computer: Go to design.cricut.com
- On your iOS device: Go to the App Store and download Cricut Design Space
- On your Android device: Go to the Google Play store and download Cricut Design Space
How do I connect my device to Design Space?
Connect your device to your machine depending on the device you're using:
- On a mobile phone or tablet: Use Bluetooth. Turn on your machine, go to your Bluetooth settings and the machine number will show up. You will type "0000" to connect the machine to your device.
- On a PC or Mac computer: Use Bluetooth (your computer must support Bluetooth) or connect through a USB cable that comes with your machine.
TIP: You'll know your machine is connected when the power button on the machine lights up blue.
Here are step-by-step instructions to connect your device.
What are the things I need to cut a project on my machine?
You will need 3 things to make a project on your machine:
- A Design Space account to create your project
- A Cricut cutting mat for your material (mats come in the box with each machine)
- Your material – you'll put the material on to the mat to run it through the machine
What materials are the most popular to use?
Some of the most popular and easy materials to get started with are paper, and vinyl. Once you make projects with these materials, you can cut more.
Why are there different mat colors?
There are 4 different kinds of mats – a blue, green, purple and pink. For the best results, the materials you cut are associated with different mats. Read more about them HERE
How do I find images to cut?
You can find over 100,000 images in Design Space or you can upload your own. When you hit the homepage on Design Space after you login, click “New Project”, to reveal your blank canvas. On your canvas you’ll see a grey bar with different icons.
- To choose an image that’s in Design Space, click the “Images” icon. Browse, search and filter images to find exactly what you’re looking for.
- To upload your own image, choose the “Upload” icon. Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to upload your images.
What’s an easy project to make if I’m just getting used to Design Space?
The Cricut website suggests making a vinyl sticker. It’s easy to do! All you do is choose an image in Design Space. Put the material face up on your blue or green Cricut cutting mat and run it through the machine to cut. Pull it off the mat and put it straight on to almost any base – your computer, mobile phone, car window, a wall, and so much more. Watch a quick vinyl tutorial on the Cricut Explore Air 2 machine.